• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

IPA Session beer

nclarkcmu

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am wondering if anybody has a recipe for an IPA session beer. I'm a big fan of IPA's, but they are hard to drink in the warmer months. I recently had an All Day IPA from Founders, MI and I was a big fan. Now I'd like to make my own, any suggestions?

Well, according to BeerAdvocate (if you believe their reliability) a session beer is 5% or less ABV and the Brewers Association defines it as 4.0 to  5.1% ABV (which pretty much takes it out of the IPA category.) What you are describing and looking for would be a nice malty Pale Ale. For me, the nice part about IPA's is the malt that has to balance the high level of hops. Pale Ales are actually a little more balanced towards hops, so if you reduce a Pale Ale hops a bit, you should get a nice session ale. Especially with some nice dry hopping.

Here's a Session Ale I did last year. It ain't no IPA, but everyone liked it.

8.5# Pale
5oz Crystal

Mashed at 152 until it passed iodine test.

Boiled with .5oz Willamette (4.8% AA) for 60, added .5oz Hallertau for 10 and .5oz more for 5.

Started with a volume of 6gal with an OG of 1.040.  Efficiency was 77.8%.
Used Safale US-05, and after racking from the secondary had 5gal with a FG of 1.006 (4.6 % ABV).

This is one I will definitely be repeating.

I have been to Founders many times (live 30 minutes away lol). I have had this both in a bottle and at the Founders Taproom. I think its an easy one to clone. Probably 95% 2 row and 5% 60-80 caramel. Founders is known for using boatloads of Centennial and Amarillo. I would use WLP 001 (cali ale) for the yeast and mash around 150-152. You could mash a little lower but this beer isnt very dry so I would mash a little higher or use a less attenuative strain of yeast (cali ale V).
I would back off my bittering addition a little though so you can still hit the right bu/gu ratio for the style.

So this is what I'm thinking for the All Day IPA Clone. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• All Day IPA Clone.html
    7.3 KB · Views: 21
Congratulations, you will make a malty American style Pale Ale, but you still cannot call this an IPA. It will be tasty and I would not hesitate to abuse it as an APA session ale.

Back