• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

tubing storage/sanitization

cousindave

Apprentice
Reaction score
Howdy friends,

A cursory search didn't yield any results so I thought I'd post my question here:

I currently transfer wort from the outflow of my plate chiller across my yard, down a flight of steps and into my basement where the fermenters live. I currently use about 40' of 1/2"ID BevLine tubing. The solution worked well for the first batch but I am now concerned with the storage/cleaning/sanitation of such a lengthy piece of tubing.

My main concerns are liquid getting stuck in the line between batches and growing all sorts of yucky stuff. MyLHBS also advised that extended exposure to acid based sanitizers (StarSan) could etch the inside of the line and render it a bacteria playground. I currently recirculate hot PBW through it at the end of brew day and then rinse thoroughly... I attempted to get all the liquid out of it with both my air compressor and shop vac but don't think it will ever be totally dry.

Any of you fellow homebrewers have suggestions for successful repeated use of this tubing? It's too bloody expensive to replace it each time! Or perhaps a different solution in place of this one (hard plumbed pvc lines, perhaps?)

Thanks in advance for your input.

I think you're asking for trouble. Why waste a half day brewing, only to have the batch get contaminated due to the possibility of un-sanitized hose? I suggest getting your fermentor in near proximity to your chill plate. A better suggestion is to get rid of the chill plate altogether. That's another place for potential contamination ... and another time-consuming step in clean-up. I use a closed system of a sump pump recirculating water in a plastic garbage container thru the chiller ... adding ice to the garbage container, if needed.

Back