• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dividing Yeast

sleastaq

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi All... Does anyone know if it's possible to get two fermentations from one yeast pack? I am going to do two batches this saturday and was thinking I could make two starters from one yeast pack the night before and then pitch both the next day. Has anyone done this? Is there enough yeast in one pack to do this?
Thanks!

What yeast?

But you should be able to as long as you are making starters.

If you are going to split one vile for two brews you will need to step up the starter at least one time I would think.

To step up a starter let your first starter ferment out.  Then decant the beer from the first one and pitch the slurry at the bottom into another starter.  It increases your cell count each time.

When ever you brew beer it is highly advantagious to make an ample yeast starter. It is best to start seeral days ahead of time.  The www.maltosefalcons.com site has an article that will give you scads of great info, as well as step by step info to propigate and maintain yeast!  Hope this helps.

;) [ The www.maltosefalcons.com site has an article that will give you scads of great info, as well as step by step info to propigate and maintain yeast!  Hope this helps.]
You never can pitch too much yeast. This site is great advice. Every homebrewer should take time to read this and learn alot about yeast. I've used one vial to make four starters. You can always step it up a couple times if its a higher gravity beer!!! Cheers ;)

Back