• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How does beersmith do calculations

Adeering

Apprentice
Reaction score
So Ive been playing with the BSMX files for recipe export and making a android recipe viewer for beersmith.  The problem Im having is it doesnt save certain data.  Mainly the estimated values like OG, Color, IBUs, ABV, etc.  This means I need to figure out how to calculate these values from what it does give.  I figured out IBUs easy, but not sure how to figure out OG, Color, FG, or ABV any help would be appreciated.

That is quite a question!  In some cases it is pretty simple (color is done using the Morey equation for example, and ABV/ABW can be easily calculated from OG/FG).  Others get considerably more complex - for example IBUs is easy for the base case, but when you start adding in late extract additions it gets really complex pretty fast.  Similarly FG can be done using a basic equation, but gets pretty complex when you factor in yeast attenuation, mash temperature and sugar effects (as BeerSmith does).

I don't have a published list of every equation, but the basic brewing equations (which will get you close in most instances) are available widely on the internet.

Brad

Ok, so Im working on the android version of a beersmith recipe reader, and for the brewsteps trying to display the estimated OG, FG, color, and ABV.  Using the BSMX recipe data I wasnt able to find an easy way to access this information.  Am I missing something

-The IBUs was relatively easy as you have an IBU contrib tag in the BSMX.  would be great if there was something like this for the other stats

-Ok so I got the color calculated now, im a little off and I think it might be because Im using the SRM instead of the lovibond for the calculation but im using the equation SRM=1.4922(MCU^0.6859)
where MCU is the sum of the MCU for each grain.  Is this correct?

-For the OG whats throwing me off is how to get the PPG from what you export into your BSMX, out of the fields Yield, percent, coarse-fine-diff, moisture, diastatic power, protein  Im not sure how to get the PPG in order to calculate the OG.

Back