• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

FWH (First Wort Hopping)

BruNut

Apprentice
Reaction score
Good morning Brew Smith Forum. I am going to brew Brads Pale Ale recipe today and after receiving info on FWH was thinking of giving it a try. My question comes in 2 parts. First do I use 10% of my boil addition or my dry hop addition and second do I add it to my mash tun while steeping or to the boil kettle while collecting runnings?
I look forward to any advice provided.

I think I have answered my own question on this subject. I found an article by Billy Broas and decided to share it with everyone.
First wort hopping (FWH) is a German brewing technique that gives the beer great depth of hop character, reduces harshness, and even produces a more intense hop aroma.

The method is performed by letting the hops steep in the kettle as it is brought to a boil.

Guidelines for First Wort Hopping

Use your finishing (flavor and aroma) hops for FWH. Place them in the boil kettle before collecting the wort from the mash tun. Let them steep as the kettle fills and leave them in there throughout the boil.
    Use at least 30% of your hops for FWH.
    Use lower alpha acid or noble hops for FWH.

Back