Author Topic: How does beersmith do calculations  (Read 4380 times)

Offline Adeering

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
How does beersmith do calculations
« on: March 29, 2012, 05:21:30 AM »
So Ive been playing with the BSMX files for recipe export and making a android recipe viewer for beersmith.  The problem Im having is it doesnt save certain data.  Mainly the estimated values like OG, Color, IBUs, ABV, etc.  This means I need to figure out how to calculate these values from what it does give.  I figured out IBUs easy, but not sure how to figure out OG, Color, FG, or ABV any help would be appreciated.

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Re: How does beersmith do calculations
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 11:16:19 AM »
That is quite a question!  In some cases it is pretty simple (color is done using the Morey equation for example, and ABV/ABW can be easily calculated from OG/FG).  Others get considerably more complex - for example IBUs is easy for the base case, but when you start adding in late extract additions it gets really complex pretty fast.  Similarly FG can be done using a basic equation, but gets pretty complex when you factor in yeast attenuation, mash temperature and sugar effects (as BeerSmith does).

I don't have a published list of every equation, but the basic brewing equations (which will get you close in most instances) are available widely on the internet.

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Offline Adeering

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: How does beersmith do calculations
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 08:55:39 AM »
Ok, so Im working on the android version of a beersmith recipe reader, and for the brewsteps trying to display the estimated OG, FG, color, and ABV.  Using the BSMX recipe data I wasnt able to find an easy way to access this information.  Am I missing something

-The IBUs was relatively easy as you have an IBU contrib tag in the BSMX.  would be great if there was something like this for the other stats

-Ok so I got the color calculated now, im a little off and I think it might be because Im using the SRM instead of the lovibond for the calculation but im using the equation SRM=1.4922(MCU^0.6859)
where MCU is the sum of the MCU for each grain.  Is this correct?

-For the OG whats throwing me off is how to get the PPG from what you export into your BSMX, out of the fields Yield, percent, coarse-fine-diff, moisture, diastatic power, protein  Im not sure how to get the PPG in order to calculate the OG.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 09:32:16 AM by Adeering »