• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Filtering Issues

MikeinRH

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I have a thing about trying to improve the clarity of my beer and have recently tried running a batch through a whole-home filter (5-micron) between two kegs. I'm sure the result would have been more clear if I had run it through the 1-micron filter as well. Here's where I need some help and advice. The first thing I noticed is that filtering seemed to affect head retention. Next I noticed that the tell-tale scum (typically left inside a finished glass) was missing. Neither one of these issues are necessarily bad. What I'm worried about is contamination if I ever decide to use the filter(s) again for another batch. Does anyone have experience with re-usable filters that can be safely autoclaved or sanitized? Buying new filters for each batch isn't worth it to me.

Interesting topic. I have been wondering about filtering as well. Currently we second stage all our brews and that seems to eliminate almost  all of the particles, but at times our brew is cloudy. Instead of a home filter wouldn't one of those in-line filters be a more practical approach? That is what I have been considering.

I have been filtering all of my kegged beers and now bottle beers as well.  The 5 micron will remove a lot of junk, but very little yeast so that should not affect carbonation, not sure about head retention.  I used to use a small portion of Kreamyx heading agent (teaspoon) in with the corn sugar.  The Kreamyx package says to use the bag contents for 5 gallons of beer but in my half dozen batch experience with it, that was too much. 
  The 1 micron filter will remove the majority of the yeast as well.  My next experiment will be with the 1 Micron filter as I now use co2 for all my brews.

Back