• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Filtering advice

happy hillbilly

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I generly use  bottled spring water for my brews but was thinkin I might save a little ifin I got me one of them there filters. My question is if I get a filter for brewin it won't be used for anythin but that since I already filter my drinkin water. Since I brew up alot of beer at a time sometimes the filter wont get used for a few weeks or meybe a month at a time so would bacteria be subject to grow in thar when it's idle? I saw omline bout a filter that had silver in it or sometin to keep down the bacteria. Does anyone have any advice? thanks  Happy

I've heard using copper pipe in the system will aid in fighting bacteria.  At my brothers farm we collect rain water into a cistern which feeds the water trough for cattle, we added a 10' length of 2" copper pipe and it really seems to work.  Also my Nephew is a engineer at a construction company that builds hospitals.  They use a section of copper pipe in each line for the same purpose.
  I've also seen on Ebay under sink reverse osmosis systems that are not horribly expensive.

I just bought one of those RV water filters from Walmart intended for use on an RV water hose for about $20.  I figured I could use it on my RV trips,  and also with my beer making.

It basically removes particulates and chlorine.

It has hose connectors with storage caps on each end.

I contacted the manufacturer and mentioned that I would only use it infrequently and asked what should I do to store it between uses.

They said leave it "wet,"  insert the end caps, and keep it in the fridge and that is what I have been doing.  I plan to buy a new one once a year or maybe more often if there seems to be any need.

Brian

Back