• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dry hopping during the secondary; are hop pellets "sterile"?

Slurk

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,
I am planning dry hopping during the secondary fermentation.
I was wondering if hop pellets are "sterile" and if I could just add them to the secondary?
All suggestions are welcome!
Regards,
Slurk

Have been doing it for 30+ years, and NEVER had a problem.

I have read that its quite ok to add the pellets this way due to their bacteria-fighting properties.  They do not provide a happy home for bacteria.

I am planning to dry hop my present IPA with cascade pellets once I get it into the secondary.  What I am not sure about though is whether to just drop them in and stir, or whether it would be best to soak them in pre-boiled water first and add them as a slurryu and stir.

Anyone know if it makes any significant difference?

Brian

This has been/is being discussed in other threads here. You might want to check out these two threads:

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,5404.0.html
and
http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,6852.0.html

Scott

Thanks a lott Scott, Brian and 88Q!
I am very interested to hear more about the thing you were wondering about Brian: whether to just drop the pellets in and stir, or whether it would be best to soak them in pre-boiled water first and add them as a slurryu and stir.

Regards,
Slurk

I was wondering if hop pellets are "sterile" and if I could just add them to the secondary?

One reason hops are used is their antiseptic qualities.  They act as a preservative. So yes, they are "sterile".

whether to just drop the pellets in and stir, or whether it would be best to soak them in pre-boiled water first and add them as a slurryu and stir.

Stirring them in could introduce air and/or bacteria.  Better to just drop them in and walk away.

They will break up on their own and form a "raft" at the top as they catch bubbles from the yeast. Then as yeast activity subsides they'll start to sink, though they'll catch bubbles and float back to the top. After a couple or three weeks there will only be a few bits floating at the top, and it's OK if they end up in your bottles or keg.

In brewing, nothing is really sterile except boiled water & wort (for a while). Wait till active fermentation is completely over before racking & pitching hops to keep the aroma. ive been tossing pellets for years without a single problem batch. If you see all the hop material settled at the bottom, go ahead and twist the carboy right & left to lift the hops back up. of course dont do this before kegging or bottling!

Back