• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

strawberry blonde

Reaction score
I am brewing with fruit for the first time. The recipe i created calls for 4 LBS strawberries pureed with a half pound of sugar. I added this mix to a 5.5 gallon batch(In a 6 gal carboy)after the primary has almost completely stopped.  My worry is that this is too much for a 6 gallon carboy, though i do use a blowoff with a 3/8 hose ID. 

I made a Raspberry Wheat in like amounts, I would either use a 7 or 8 gallon bucket fermenter or cut back a half gallon on the recipe.  I used a 6.5 gallon bucket and had Rasberry Wheat all over the floor.

I am making my own Strawberry Blonde as well.  Stuck it in the fermenter just last night.

My recipe calls for throwing 6 lbs of previously frozen strawberries in the secondary whole.  No sugar or other additives. 

This would not fit in my 6 gallon carboy I am sure, so I plan on keeping it in a fermenter for the extra storage volume.  Does anyone have any warnings or things I need to be aware of that may keep me from doing this ?  Any reason other than more air to not use a fermenter instead of a carboy ?

The Raspberry I used was a canned puree, sterile.  I added it to the primary at the same time I pitched the yeast.  After my post last night I tapped the keg on this brew.  I did not have as much raspberry flavor as I would have liked, but I think my recipe and process had too much wheat/ biscuit type malt as that is most prevalent flavor.    It has lagered for well over a month so I will assume this is how it is.
  At our brew club meeting last week we did a comparison on lager flavors with different fermentation temperatures.  Two identical 5 gallon fermenters, (came from same 10 gallon batch), one at 40 degrees, one at 49 degrees.  The higher temp fermentation yielded a stronger grain flavor and sharper hops, the cooler fermentation yielded a MUCH smoother brew!  I think my raspberry wheat would have done much better starting off fermentation much cooler allowing the raspberry flavor a better chance.  I started out at 64 degrees for 48 hours the dropping to 50 degrees for 2 weeks & lagering at 36 degrees for 2 months.  It is at least drinkable, but I have to use the lagering chest in the future!  I will also add my flavoring to the secondary!

Hey guys, how about sharing those Strawberry recipes?  Maybe we could comment on the balance.

Back