• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Grain Limit?

Worthog

Apprentice
Reaction score
Is there a maximum number of grains that should be used to make a beer? I am building an pale ale extract receipe, and have decided to use 4 grains. I'm just wondering if less is better or if it doesn't really make a difference.

thanks.  8)

I would say thas the beauty of brewing your own, you can put anything in there you want.  Some recipes call for a half dozen or more depending on the flavor, color, sweetness, head retention, Floor malted, un-malted, 2-row, 6-row, body or many other combinations.  Check out the various Malt Manufactures web sites to see what specific grains are used for and experiment away!!  Sometimes simple grain bills are done to allow experimentation with different hop or yeast varieties.  It's all Good!

That’s great information.
I will look around and see if I can find some grains that are commonly used together and do some experimentation as you suggested. I’m just getting started so I appreciate you taking the time to answer my post.
Thanks again!

Download all the recipe packs for Beersmith and look at those for example recipes.  Buy Ray Daniels book, "Designing Great Beers". 

There are some "kitchen sink" recipes that work really well, but generally 3-5 grains is better.  Focus on the flavors you are trying to produce.  Most styles have a dominant characteristic, and other grains are there to provide subtle complexity. 

Also great information. I just stopped by the supply store today, I was tasting the grains and noticed that many had a very "robust" flavor while others were much more subtle. I am going to take your advice and download all of the recipies and make my own "tweeks" on them and see where it takes me.
I'm really looking forward to this.
Thank you for your advice!

Try making batches that are otherwise identical except for one ingredient to get a feel for what it does to the brew.

Also be sure to check the malt manufacture web sites for special seasonal grains!  Wyeast also has season specific yeast variations as well as a "Private Collection Series".  Hops growing seems to be a big thing in some areas, check with your local brew club for members with a green thumb!
  I tried malting my own Specialty grain (Kamut Wheat) for a Egyption Wheat Beer.  You can really see how temperture effects the flavor of the grain in the drying / roasting process.  The grain turned out great!  Its not really practical to malt all of your own grains but a very cool experiment!  Most Organic Food Stores carry raw unprocessed grains for homemade cereal so you can try all sorts of grains and variations.

Cheers and good luck!!

Back