• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Racking from boil pot to fermenter: How to minimize trub loss

eddiewould

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

After crash cooling my wort (all grain) I syphon using an auto-syphon into my fermenter. Trouble is, I always seem to lose at least a few litres (4/5 of a gallon) to "trub". The trub is suspended in the wort so I stop syphoning.

Questions:
1) Is there anything I can do differently to make the trub "settle" at the bottom rather than remaining in suspension?
2) If I was to syphon more (or even all) of the wort with sediment in it into the fermenter, would it eventually settle out with the yeast cake? Would this adversely affect the favour/clarity/other qualities of the beer?

Cheers,
Eddie

A couple of things.. Whirlpool the wort in the brew pot. this will move the hot and cold break material to the center of the pot. Put a lid on it and let it set for 10 min or so,  then syphon from the edge.
You can also increase your boil volume to account for trub loss. 

I removed the pipe fitting on a bazooka strainer and put the screen on my siphon.  Also Irish Moss will help keep all of the smaller pieces stuck together.  Recently I had a brew from a stuck sparge which had a lot of debris in the boil kettle (now has a spigot) so I drained the boil kettle through a boiled hand held strainer. 

ArtCox said:
A couple of things.. Whirlpool the wort in the brew pot. this will move the hot and cold break material to the center of the pot. Put a lid on it and let it set for 10 min or so,  then syphon from the edge.
You can also increase your boil volume to account for trub loss.

Presumably I don't need to worry about oxidizing the beer because it's cool and we're going to aerate it anyway when we pitch the yeast. I'll give that a go next time!

When using a siphoning cane to transfer you can get a grain sock and cut it down to size and boil it then using a thin piece of the same tie it to the piece of tubing going into your fermenter  to catch un wanted trub,, but the trub that does make it by should settle out with the yeast.

Back