• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Siphoning - How to do it properly

B

Bach7210

Yes, pretty new brewer here.  Have made only one batch and I'm still waiting for it to carbonate.  Nonetheless, I have a question on how to properly use my racking cane to siphon from the fermentor to the bottling bucket.  I do not have a glass carboy (yet) for a secondary fermentation, so I have only used my plastic fermenter and then I siphoned into a bottling bucket.  When I did this I'm not sure if I had my racking cane upside down or not.  Does the bent portion go into the fermentor? - or is it the other way around.  I put the bent portion into the fermentor because I figured it would eliminate me from getting a bunch of sediment into the bottling bucket, but I noticed that this method left behind a lot of good primable beer.  Do I need to turn the cane around?  If so, how far down should I lower the bottom edge?  Additionally, my racking cane came with a black cap...what is that for?

The racking cane goes inside a siphon tube, then you hook the plastic tubing to the racking cane (the hook end) and place it as close to the bottom of the bucket as you can get it (preferably on the bottom). If you don't have a siphon tube (called an auto siphon) I highly recomend you getting one, any other way (other than a pump) is most likely not sanitary i.e. sucking on the end of the tube, and will most likely result in an infection in your beer.

If you are not going to use an auto-siphon, then the hose still goes on the "hook" end of the racking cane. You either have to get a clip to hold the racking cane above the trub, or stand there and hold it yourself

Using the racking cane is not bad, but invest in an auto-siphon and you'll make it easier on yourself when it comes time to rack into a secondary or bottling bucket.

Congrats on your first batch and brew on!! ;D

Thank you for the verification.  I thought I was doing it backwards... :-[  I have been giving serious thought to getting an auto siphon.  Sounds like that would be a sound investment.  This last time I did the water in the hose technique.  The sucking on the tube variant scares the life out of me and I can't believe some would even consider doing that.  

Thanks again  :D

And the black cap should not be a “cap” per say, but sort of a filter/spacer.   ;D

It allows the cane to hit the bottom without sucking up a bunch of unwanted "stuff", and leaves smaller holes for the newly fermented beer to go through eliminating big chunks of whatever from getting through, and clogging your hose.   ;)

Ahh ha.  It is all becoming so clear now  :p  These supply stores really need to include a set of instructions with their equipment sales.  Thanks for the help, fellas.

Back