• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Grains floating in the mashing

D

DANIEL

let me explain about something that happened to me,  all the grains were stirred and all of them looked wet during the mash, but at around 67ºC grains they were floating, the relation between water and grains was 4/1,  grains looked like if they werent be crushed, and another thing they were crushed almost 20 days before brewing, and the humidity of my place is to high, I bought crushed malt. I wanna know what was the reason of this, because something like this never happened, obviously, I get poor eficciency
I hope u can help me.
best regards

Daniel,
 I would not panic.  I've made quite a few beers where at least some of the mash was floating, even when the grains were freshly crushed.

I believe the floating depends on how much moisture is embedded in the grains to start, and likely also how fine your crush is.  If your grains are running a bit dry or some of the grains are not crushed well some of them will tend to float at least at first.

If you did get poor efficiency, you might want to look at the crush of the grain as that is much more likely to be the cause of your efficiency loss than the age of the grains.  Generally you want to crush as finely as possible without causing a stuck mash.  Also sparge slowly.

Cheers!
Brad

Back