• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

ping pong balls in dead space

Maine Homebrewer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Using a brewbucket with a hundred holes drilled into it sitting in a bottle bucket as a lauter tun (google "Papazian zapap").

Been annoyed by the dead space for a long time.  All that recirculating gets old.

Thinking about figuring out how many ping pong balls can easily fill the dead space.

Thoughts?

I would NOT use ping pong balls.  They are made of celluloid...a plastic made from nitrocellulose and camphor.  They are flammable, and will likely impart a flavor to your beer.

Marbles are common in carboys for consuming extra volume.  I'd use that or stainless steel ball bearings (expensive).

I do not use this method, but if I did I would get a couple of cheap HDPE cutting boards.  Cut them to size with a scroll saw, drill a crap load of holes like the initial bucket, but progressively smaller holes.  This would not only fill your dead space but also act as a strainer.  Maybe cut/ melt a few grooves on the faces of the cutting boards to aid in the process.  Toss it/ them in the dish washer to clean.

$0.02

I would think that if you used the cutting board idea to just fill the dead space in the bottom of the bottling bucket, I don't think you would even need to drill any holes.  You goal is to try to consume dead space, right?  Then maybe put a wedge under the back side of the buckets to get a little bit of an angle going.  This would get quite a bit of it.

Seems like a lot of trouble to me.  Why not upgrade your mash/lauter tun to a cooler setup?  Purchase the appropriate size cooler, stainless steel braided mesh (washing machine hose) and a quality valve and be done with it.  Just my $0.02.

I do use a Igloo 10 gallon and recently purchased a 15 gallon "cube" cooler for the heartier batches.  The angled drain on the cube required a minor alteration to my manifold I use in the 10 gallon cooler, no big deal.  Just thought the idea of making a plate type strainer was interesting.  I'm looking to increase my batch size so the idea of a plate strainer at the bottom of a 55 gallon barrel I think is worth the 100 bucks or less.  How much do 55 gallon mash tuns run these days?

Back