• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pre-Boil Gravity and Kettle Trub Loss

eobie

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Posted this over at HBT.. hoping to get an answer. My Pre-Boil gravity is always low and my final gravity is usually spot on. Turns out my  Boil off rate was too low and the trub loss to high, so it sorta worked out.

If you create a recipe and go the "vols" tab, then adjust the "trub loss" under "boil and fermentation" the program adjusts the water volume going in, but not the OG of the pre boil wort.

In other words for a normal recipe if it says that your pre boil OG (7.9 Gals) is 1.045... if you were to change the trub loss to say 2 gallons it would adjust the pre boil volume but then the pre boil OG would go up.... despite being diluted with an extra 2 gallons of water.

check out this post on trub loss.  for some reason, brewsmith used brewhouse efficiency and the final batch size to calculate OG rather than grains used and total volume left in the brew kettle.

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,4911.0.html

Back