• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith 2.1 and the BeerSmith Recipe Cloud

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
All,
  A preview of BeerSmith 2.1 which includes a new brew-day timer as well as integration with our new BeerSmith recipe cloud service (a giant recipe database for all, as well as a way of sharing recipes across machines):
  http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2012/04/25/beersmith-2-1-and-the-beersmith-recipe-cloud-a-preview/

Coming around mid-May!

Brad

Hei Brad,

I just bought a key going from BeerSmith 2 trial mode to the real thing. I did not activate it due to your update info.
Should I wait until mid may and download the updated version or can I activate now and update it for free in mid may?
Regards,
Slurk

Hi
  The 2.1 update will be free for all registered users, so please go ahead and grab the latest version and activate it now (no need to wait).  Once the update is posted you can simply install it, and it should not affect your activation at all.

Brad

Release Date Set:
  15 May 2012 (less than a week)!

People who are subscribed to the BeerSmith newsletter will start getting early access passes in the next few days.  I'm doing this to help reduce the impact of having thousands of people try to download the program and join the new cloud site all a within a few hours of the release.

I'll be sending those out on a "first signed up, first served" basis, so people who were subscribed the longest will get the new version just a few days early.

Assuming all goes well the public release date will be 15 May 2012 (less than a week away!)

Brad

You need a resend email link. Unless you're not sending the emails yet. But you still should have a resend link.

Thanks,
  If you have trouble registering for the site after you've tried to create an account on it (i.e. don't get the initial confirmation code when signing) drop me an email and I can sort it out.

Brad

Hi Brad.

How do I find the Brew Clock on v 2.1?  Looked hi and low and it's certainly not obvious to me!

Open any recipe and it's in the middle of the buttons between 'mash' and 'fermentation'. I had to search for it also.
Ed

The new version has been released!  Get it here:
  http://beersmith.com/download-beersmith

Thanks,
Brad

Awesome job! Looks great.  I can't wait for a companion mobile app  (android, of course)

One hypothetical question: If someone upgrades to, say, 75 recipes (gold), and then their subscription lapses. What happens to the extra 65 recipes? Do they get deleted? Oldest first, or newest first?

If the recipe is public and popular, say Denny's RyePA, Wouldn't losing it be a detriment to the overall community?

bperetto said:
One hypothetical question: If someone upgrades to, say, 75 recipes (gold), and then their subscription lapses. What happens to the extra 65 recipes? Do they get deleted? Oldest first, or newest first?

If the recipe is public and popular, say Denny's RyePA, Wouldn't losing it be a detriment to the overall community?

I'm not planning to start deleting recipes just because someone's account is a bit overdue.  They just won't be able to add any more recipes. 

Now if it turns out we have many thousands of recipes from "zombie" accounts that have not been accessed in a very long time, then I might consider deleting them especially if they are private or unrated.  Even then I would probably make a backup of the data first, just in case.

Brad

Hi
  The 2.1 upgrade is free for anyone running 2.0 or higher.  The basic cloud account is also free. 

Brad

Thanks for a great piece of software!

I’m only a wee beginner, but already love both the program and the recently launched cloud service. (I actually bought the program just a few hours ago, when realizing the cloud was launched!)

Just one question: Are you planning to make it possible to store the inventory online as well? I’ll be using the program on two computers myself, and probably sharing the cloud account with my brewing companion. Keeping an inventory up to date on four different computers will be…well, difficult.

Thanks again!

Best,

/kalle.

Hi,
  Not in the immediate as I'm focused on developing some mobile versions, but I will certainly look at a way of doing it in the future.

Brad

Thanks for letting me know. All efforts towards mobile apps are equally appreciated, of course!

/kalle.

Inventory on the cloud would be nice, and mobile accessible.  Was at the LHBS yesterday and couldnt remember what I had in stock as I as buying additional supplies.

Back