• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

PC to MAC

firefly765

Apprentice
Reaction score
MY PC crashed...switched to a MAC (lion) i have my old HDD w/ BS2 on it.....My MAC can't open the file....How can I get all my recipes & settings from my old BS2 program???

Thanks for any help!

Is it possible that you could read the recipe file if you ran your Mac in PC mode?

I am a Mac user and don't use this feature uch, but I do have a couple of PC programs such as "Streets & Trips" which is not available as a Mac program, so I run the Mac as a PC in order to be able to still use the program.

I use a free program on the Mac to do this, it is called VirtualBox. 

Brian

Wingeezer said:
Is it possible that you could read the recipe file if you ran your Mac in PC mode?

I am a Mac user and don't use this feature uch, but I do have a couple of PC programs such as "Streets & Trips" which is not available as a Mac program, so I run the Mac as a PC in order to be able to still use the program.

I use a free program on the Mac to do this, it is called VirtualBox. 

Brian

I couldn't figure it out.

Do you have a friend with a PC?  Plug the hard drive into their PC and copy the files over onto a USB thumb drive.

Hi,
  If you can access your old 'Documents/BeerSmith2' directory on your old computer/hard drive you should be able to copy those to a thumb drive (or other device) and move it over to your new computer.

On the Mac you can either open the files one at a time and copy/paste items selectively or you can try replacing everything at once by:
    - Renaming your existing Documents/BeerSmith2 directory to something else (to preserve that data/setup)
    - Copying your old BeerSmith2 directory from the thumb drive to your Documents folder on the Mac
    - In theory the Mac should be able to open everything since the file formats are compatible

Brad

BeerSmith said:
Hi,
  If you can access your old 'Documents/BeerSmith2' directory on your old computer/hard drive you should be able to copy those to a thumb drive (or other device) and move it over to your new computer.

On the Mac you can either open the files one at a time and copy/paste items selectively or you can try replacing everything at once by:
    - Renaming your existing Documents/BeerSmith2 directory to something else (to preserve that data/setup)
    - Copying your old BeerSmith2 directory from the thumb drive to your Documents folder on the Mac
    - In theory the Mac should be able to open everything since the file formats are compatible

Brad
I get "error importing file" when i try to import directly for the old HDD on the mac. I will try to open on a PC then save to a thumb. My Beersmith 2 file on my old PC HDD says it's only 16KB.....can that be right??

Thanks for the help. I really don't want to lose all my data!

OK. so I'm going to try to copy the files from a PC.....what would the procedure be?
Because I already have them......in theory from a PC on my mac & can't open them......How do I copy them in a format a MAC can read?
How about my settings (brew equipment....etc)?

Hey Firefly .. did you ever figure this out?  I just switched to Macbook Pro from a PC, and have not been able to get my recipes into BS-2 on the Mac.  I tried all of the recommendations listed above.

tm

Hi, 
  If you copy your Documents/BeerSmith2 directory over from your Mac to PC it should work.  Note that Linux places the directory elsewhere (~/.beersmith).

Alternately you can open the BSMX files such as Recipes.bsmx using the open command and then copy/paste them into your My Recipes folder.

Brad

Back