• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Boil Volumes

kurtb

New Forum Member
Reaction score
2 very simple questions (or at least they should be), but I could not find the answer anywhere...

1.  Is the "Boil Volume" on the Equipment profile before or after the wort actually reaches boiling?
2.  Is the "Post Boil Volume" on the Equipment profile before or after the wort has been cooled?

I am trying to get my equipment profile & process dialed in, but these two items, as simple as they should be, are confusing me as to when I should be taking the measurement.

What screen are you on when you are looking at these settings?  Are you on the settings screen for your equipment profile?

If so, the software should calculate the boil volume automatically based on your desired batch size and the losses you put in.  Likewise for the post boil volume, and yes this number is before cooling.

If this is not the screen you are looking at, let me know.

Cheers!

Yep.  That would be the screen.

I was just looking to compare what was calculated with what actually gets produced out of my mash tun.  That way I can double check that what was mashed/sparged was correct, adjusting the loss values to dial in the equipment.  Being a new cooler and braid set up, I can only really guesstimate at the loss values until I use it a few times.

I figured the pre-boil volume was post-mash/pre-boil, but just wanted to confirm.

The post boil volume was the big one.  Knowing that it is before cooling, I can make some adjustments to the boil "on the fly" if things are not going as planned. 

Along with the new mash tun I also got a new brew kettle.  Knowing that the volume is pre-cooling should also let me dial in my boil off rate with future batches.

Thanks for the reply.

Back