• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

question to yeast washers

Maine Homebrewer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Does washed ale yeast sludge smell and taste different from washed lager yeast sludge?

When I last washed lager yeast, the aroma and taste (try everything, right?) totally reminded me of the brewer's yeast my mother fed to me as a kid, but my first washed ale yeast I just added to a starter did not.
It was neutral. Odd.  Like I saved trub and washed away the yeast. 

I'll find out soon enough when that sludge either sits there or starts chowing down on the yummy yeast food I just fed to it.

Hi Maine Homebrewer,
Good to hear that I am not the only one trying/tasting everything in every brewing step .
My last experience was tasting a spoonfull of the sediment after the boil. It took the whole day to get rid of the harsh taste in my mouth...

However, you will find out soon enough with your approach if you washed away the yeast or collected a non tasting ale yeast (which sounds both odd in my ears but also interesting). Good luck and let us know!

Regards,
slurk

Back