• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Irish Moss Use?

SteveOR

Apprentice
Reaction score
posted by Harebare "If I had a dime for every time I finished chilling and looked up on the window sill and saw the Irish moss sitting there, happily hydrating in a juice glass..."

I read this and was wondering why I just put the tsp into my boiling wort. Does everybody hydrate it first? Thats one of the great things about forums like this , I get to read what others are doing and learn a lot.

Cheers

Steve

I've never read that Irish Moss should be hydrated before adding to a boil. I just take a pinch and add it 10-15 minutes before I shut off the propane. My last batch called for an Irish Moss addition at 60 minutes. I thought that was odd, but decided to give it a try, anyway. Pretty weird-looking stuff. Would no doubt raise some eyebrows if anyone were to look at the baggie I keep it in.

I thought Roy was Irish and Moss was English :)

I have never found definitive information on why to rehydrate Irish Mosh for brewing.  When using in foods, there is some compelling reasons.  They could be the same.  Boiling wort is a hostile environment and maybe cells don't get the change to rebuild and the carrageenan is not fully bonded or something. 

Re-hydrating always works.  Is easy to do and there is no reason not to.  Why not hedge your bet and rehydrate.    Or give it a test by splitting the boil and fermentation with one half hydrated and one dry.  I wouldn't bother since hydrating always works for me.

Interesting - just for fun I looked at the package and it just says add to boiling wort - nothing about hydrating. I don't think getting it wet first does any damage - but cannot think of what getting it wet first does before getting hot wet...I think my beers have always been nice and clear the way I am doing it. Does any body have any instruction printed on the package of Irish moss that state to hydrate it first?

I always just throw it in,this is the first I ever even heard of hydrating it

Hi,

A couple of years ago I read something where they recommended hydrating Irish Moss powder before using it in a boil. Unfortunately I cannot remember why this was the case.

Regards,
Slurk

I've never hydrated Irish Moss.  The directions say add 1 tsp. to 5 gallons of wort. I simply sprinkle it on top of the boiling wort.

I think it's recommended to maximize the potential for negative/positive charged elements to attract.  But it works without rehydration just like dry yeast does.  Hard to tell what the difference between "maximized effect" and "other" might be.

I have read about people rehydrating irish moss, but never seen very strong arguments either for or against it.  I would think that it would work fine either way.  The very first package of irish moss that i bought said to add it at the beginning of the boil.  Based on that, it is just what I have always done.  I have gotten in the habit of adding it in the container with my first hop addition.  That helps me to remember it and not forget it.

Back