• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Use Mason Jar to bottle

vytis74

Apprentice
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a mason jar to bottle your home brew in?

The last batch I brewed I didn't have enough 22 oz. bottles and still had some left to bottle.  So I grabbed a couple of mason jars, sterilized them and filled them up.  I did a taste test with bottled beer vs. the mason jar and didn't find any taste difference.

If I want to share kegged beer I often use mason jars since you can't easily fill a bottle from the tap.

Mason jars are not designed to hold pressure.  Neither the lids nor the glass.  It is perfectly fine as a sterilizable container...but, it is not a pressure vessel. 

Its fine for transport, and such....but, not for long term storage or "bottle conditioning". 

ME Homebrewer:  Have you seen this?  Its pretty slick.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/bottling-wand-perlick-525-75-aka-bowie-bottler-228344/

I guess I'm assuming you have perlick faucets.

I agree about the jars not being designed to hold pressure.  I suppose that low to average carbonated beer would be ok in them, but I'm not one to chance it.  I personally don't have any issues filling bottles off kegs.  The trick is to dump the pressure way down to the point where it comes out nice and slow.  I always fill my bottles in a small bucket too.  This way when there is a little over flow, they are in a bucket to catch it.  If you are filling off a picnic tap, the bottling wand goes right inside the tip.  Otherwise, I use a standard piece of tube inside the faucet and the bottling wand on the other end.  Both work very well at low flow pressure.  Remember that any bottle filled off a keg should be filled so that there is very little head room.  This will help ensure the beer doesn't loose it carbonation.

I use the "BeerGun"  for 98% of my bottling.  I filter most brews with a 5 micron filter when kegging.  CO2 carb the keg per chart specs.  The night before bottling I put the keg to be bottled in the refrigerator @ 32 degrees/ 10 PSI.  I bottle over a bucket but rarely have more than a cup of spillage.  So far erverything bottling this way has had very good carbonation.  I took samples of a 2xIPA to a club meeting last month, several people noticed that the bottling date was that day!!  They were amazed at the carbonation level. 

I like that flavors do not change as much from added sugars.  And there is very little crud at the bottom of the bottle.

Back