• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

steeping instructions for extract recipes?

dfisher64

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I hope someone can help me.  I am new to homebrew software so maybe I am just missing a few steps.

I am trying to do an extract recipe for a typical 5 gal batch.  When I view the "Brew Steps" sheet it seems to be missing some key instructions for steeping the specialty grains.  All it does is list the ingredients that I have added. It doesn't indicate the amount of water needed or temperature of water to begin steeping, and it does not give any length of time to steep.  In addition, it does not tell how much water or temp to sparge the grains after the steep is finished. 

I figured maybe I could try tweeking something in the mash tab, but that function is disabled when you are doing an extract recipe.

When I was doing Extract w/Specialty grains, I would do full boils. In other words heat the full 6-7gal of water to 150 - 155 degrees put the grains in a muslin bag and steep them for 30 -45 min.. after that time pull the bag out, let it drain and add your malt extract turn up the heat and boil as usual. 60 min is common. 

I created a simple 'specialty steep' profile in the 'mash profile' screen. I then created an 'extract' template, changed it to either 'partial mash' or 'all grain', which allows you to pick a mash profile. Set my profile to 'specialty steep', then changed the template back to 'extract' and saved it.

Ed

Hi,
  I actually incorporated steeping into the new brewday timer coming next week in BeerSmith 2.1.  Its adjustable.

However, the standard steep instructions are roughly "30 minutes at 155F" according to Palmers book and a few others.  Certainly many people steep for less than that, but it gives you a target.

dfisher64 said:
I hope someone can help me.  I am new to homebrew software so maybe I am just missing a few steps.

I am trying to do an extract recipe for a typical 5 gal batch.  When I view the "Brew Steps" sheet it seems to be missing some key instructions for steeping the specialty grains.  All it does is list the ingredients that I have added. It doesn't indicate the amount of water needed or temperature of water to begin steeping, and it does not give any length of time to steep.  In addition, it does not tell how much water or temp to sparge the grains after the steep is finished. 

I figured maybe I could try tweeking something in the mash tab, but that function is disabled when you are doing an extract recipe.

I think what you are looking for shows up under the timer.  If you open your recipe up under the design feature and then click on timer you will see the amounts and times needed.

Tim

BeerSmith said:
Hi,
  I actually incorporated steeping into the new brewday timer coming next week in BeerSmith 2.1.  Its adjustable.

However, the standard steep instructions are roughly "30 minutes at 155F" according to Palmers book and a few others.  Certainly many people steep for less than that, but it gives you a target.

Is there a way to get it to print out when a Brew Steps sheet is printed?

BeerSmith... I agree... in the Brewsheet printout, there is an empty box above "Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort" which would be perfect for the steep temp chosen and duration. I also see the step in the timer, but the brewsheet is where i make most my notes...

Back