• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yucky metal crickets!

WorldFamousGeorge

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Howdy,  I have a query...I make 6 gallon all grain batches, usually using the single step infusion-full body-no mash out technique.  I force carb my 5 gal cornelius kegs and they turn out great!  I like to bottle the last gallon to keep something from every batch to save for later.  The Cooper's sugar pellets are OK but not great.  They are OK since the pellets are easy to use; however, they seem to have a bit of a narly taste (reminds me of metal crickets).  Also,  the beer is inconsistently either under or over-carbonated (at one or 2 pellets for 12oz brown bottles) or the same for 16oz grolsch styled bottles using 2 to three pellets.  Aside from using other manufacturers' pellets, what are my options?  Is there a preferred/better way?

I've used both corn sugar and DME with great results. Any reason they will not work?

Ed

Table sugar will work just fine, too.  You will have to change your technique slightly:  take your desired sugar (table, corn, DME) and amount (use the carbonation tool in beersmith), and mix with an equal amount of water.  Then boil it.  I usually put it in a mason jar and microwave it for a couple minutes.  Pour this into the bottom of your bottling bucket and rack on top of it.  Stir it well to ensure the sugar is thoroughly mixed.  Bottle.

I used those tabs and was very disappointed.  Not only did they give the beer that metallic tang, but every single bottle turned into a gusher after a few months.

I've made marks on the bottle bucket for smaller amounts, and otherwise do what tom_hampton suggested.

Back