• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Farcled Immersion Chiller

cdeme123

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello,

Well I've done it now.  I wanted to clean up my copper immersion chiller so I cleaned it and thought I would soak it in some sanitizer for just a few minutes.  I got distracted and forgot it there for about two weeks.  If you know anything about chemistry or simply can think you can probably imagine what I found when I realized where I had left my immersion chiller and went to retrieve it.  The sanitizer water was blue and so was my chiller.  It smelled pretty bad too.

I won't want this thing touching any of my beer until I know it won't foul it up.  I have been getting some decent results with a rag and some white vinegar but progress is slow.

Has anyone encountered a situation like this and salvaged the equipment successfully?  If so, how did you do it.  I really don't want to buy another chiller unless I'm convinced that this one is truly a gonner.

Any advice other than "don't leave your copper equipment soaking in anything" is welcome.  I already figured that first bit.

Thank you and happy brewing.

Chris

:-\

This is probably far too late, but I use Bar Keeper's Friend and a 3M scrubby pad on my immersion cooler before and after brewing.  Rinse thoroughly.

You might also try soaking it in hot OxyClean for an hour (not a week!) or two.

Hope that helps.

The blue is possibly copper sulfate?  I can't remember the name but we used to use it for some pyrotechnics.

Anyway if it is it's quite poisonous.  I would probably try boiling it in some vinegar, that should eat off some of the surface and get you back to copper.  I wouldn't use it in beer until the blue is gone.

I used immersions for a long time and never was impressed by the farcling and/or the cooling efficiency.  Strong vinegar solution will clean it but mine didnt take long to revert to black & bluish.  I think I ended up getting more for the copper at the scrap yard than I paid for it some time ago.  I went to a CFC and cant imagine anything cooling faster now.

Back