• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bad Accident - Lesson Learned

dnd0327

Brewer
Reaction score
Hey all,
Just wanted to pass on a lesson that I learned the hard way last week. As I was carrying my boiled wort into the house to be cooled, my foot caught the propane stand, I lost my balance and my wort sloshed over the top and all over me. My hand/arm were the worst. I immediately removed any clothing with boiling liquid on them. I soaked my hand for 3 hours in chilled water. I still lost a lot of skin, but I'm told it could have been worse. So my mistakes were...
1) Boil pot was too small, liquid level too high to carry around at 50+ pounds
--I have obtained a 15 gallon keg for it's height, volume and substantial handles
2) If carrying pot a distance, clear the path completely and have someone open doors if needed. If no one is available to help, prop the doors open with something heavy.
3) Don't wear loose fitting slippers when carrying 50+ pounds of boiling liquid.
4) Use common sense and think before acting. I took this for granted as I had done this dozens of times previously.

Oh yeah, I did manage to save about 3/4 of my batch...I had to.
Dan

Yikes!  Buy a chiller!!!!!

http://morebeer.com/search/102202/beerwinecoffee/coffeewinebeer/Wort_Chillers

I cannot stress the importance of #3

Last Christmas time, I was wearing my normal slippers and was carrying a carboy from the garage into the house.  I slipped going up the back steps and knew I was going down.  I managed to get the carboy away from me as much as possible to minimize the damage.  Luckily, I only got a slice across my wrist and a few scrapes on my hands and knees.  It could have been so much worse.  I'm not saying that the slippers were the total cause, but I know they played a part.  In short, proper shoes are very important anytime you are carrying anything heavy, breakable, scalding hot, etc.

I would also echo Tom......buy a chiller!!  I would never want to move my boil kettle, especially when it is boiling hot or close to it.  An immersion chiller is definitely worth the money.

I carry and handle my carboys in a milk jug. Better safe than sorry ...

ultravista said:
I carry and handle my carboys in a milk jug. Better safe than sorry ...

Yeah, I even have a carboy carrier strap and wasn't using it.....

Dan,  It is relieving to hear you were only moderately injured and are recovering well.  It is frightening how cavalier we get wen working with high BTU burners and boiling, sugary liquid.  I know I have slacked off a few times.  This serves as a reminder to myself to keep safety in the forefront of my actions and not something I wish I did later. 

It is also good to hear you saved the beer.  Risking and experiencing dramatic injury for nothing is even harder to deal with. 

thanks for reminding us to stay vigilant so we will be around to make many more fine beers!  And drink them too.

I must third on the chiller.
Mine connects to the garden hose.
I built it at the hardware store using 25ft of 1/4in copper tubing, some vinyl tubing, and a couple fittings and clamps. 
Employees can be surprisingly helpful when they find out it's for beer.

Glad you're OK. 

Dont know how bad it is unless you wanna send pictures...please dont...but I had a similar encounter with BBQ grease running the full length of my leg (the left one).  I remember saying "Oh Darn" pretty loudly.  Doctor prescribed Silver Sulfadiazine Cream (aka SSD).  Keep it wet by re-applying when needed and wrap in gauze 24/7.  No scar a few years later. By the way, I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV.  Not trying to be light about it, I feel your pain, that SSD stuff really works. If its on your hands you dont want to explain a scar for the rest of your life.  Like you it was a save for me....pretty good prime rib. 

What happened to you nearly happened to me a few yrs ago.  I was carrying 5 gallons of wort down basement steps and missed the last step.  Don't know how, but I didn't spill a drop of wort, but I did sprain my ankle.  Could have been really hurt.  That incident caused me to build my electric I system and now I can brew in the basement. 
Keep you burn areas clean and moist.  Infection can lead to more problems.  If you're taking antibiotics, try not to drink too much homebrew.  The alcohol reduces the effectiveness of the antibiotics.  Take care. 

Sorry for the confusion...I do use a chiller. It hooks up to my kitchen sink. I have to carry the boil pot from the burner to my kitchen counter to get close enough to the sink. I should look into a hose hookup. I just can't use in during winter.

Thanks for the well wishes. The first degree burns hurt bad but didn't leave any bad marks. The second degree burns have peeled and are mostly scabbed over. They take a while to heal. And yes...it hurts like MAD!
Thanks again,
Dan

I have to do the same.  I have a chiller, but have to get it from the stove over the the sink .. about 10 feet of No-Man's Land.  Slow and easy is the method.  Brewing 5 gallon batches in an 8 gallon kettle. 

Need to get a burner and propane tank so I can cook outside, but til then it is a matter of vigilance.  The X Factor is the 2 yr old running around not knowing to stay away .. gotta carry him away from the room and go back to move it before he can get in the kitchen area again.

Hmm .. a high sitting office chair (drafting chair) with rollers would come in handy !

Back