• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Feature request: Facets for browsing the cloud

m750

Brewer
Reaction score
One of the really cool features of the cloud is being able to use others recipes, or browse them. As this set grows paging is going to be a futile experience. Navigation really needs to have added facets, such as abv range, srm, ibu, hop type, grain type, things beyond just kit and extract/partial/allgrain.

Just my .02.
Aaron

Thanks
  I've added some sorting options already.  I have others available, but I have been trying to make sure we could support these at a high level of performance (keeping most searches under a second) as it grows.  I anticipate we may easily have tens of thousands of recipes within the first year.

I've added sort by name, rating, most recent and abv (hi to low and low to high).  What others would be most useful?

Brad

This is a really late reply, but, sorting isn't really what I'm talking about, what I'm suggesting is considered guided navigation. Where each recipe feature is a facet, and you can navigate rather than search for your desired recipe. Say you want a recipe that is below 5% abv, uses belma, and uses us05, being able to navigate to a small set of recipes with that criteria would be awesome.

A tool like Solr can easily do the hard work of that faceting once you've mapped your data, etc.
Just a thought, as the number of recipes grow, simple sorting becomes useless in trying to find something specific in the haystack, if there aren't more advanced ways to limit the results.

Back