• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash tun volume available

sailfast

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am sure this has been discussed before, but a I cannot find any info on how to adjust mash water volumes to accomodate 10.9#of grain in a 5 gallon mash tun. The program just gives me an error message about tun volume ( needs 6 gallon plus). I find the program is excellent when my grain weights are under 9#.  How do I change mash water volumes ( mash in and mash out) and then increase sparge volumes to get to my boil volume?

Thanks

Sailfast

It's a finite space, so the only two controls would be eliminate any deadspace (false bottom versus bazooka screen), and decrease the water ratio per pound of grain until it fits.  Once you've maximized those things, you've hit the wall on that MLT. 

Yes, I understand the limtations of space. My question is how do I change the mash water volumes in the program, which may help calculate the water volumes for the mash out and sparge. Sorry if I was not clear in my question.

Sailfast

I'm at work, but I'd think Equipment Profile and then maybe mash profile. 

Yes, in the mash profile in the mash step, you can specify the water/grist ratio or the absolute water volume.

Back