• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What is Grain Yield?

apoxbrew

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm just playing around with some stuff and can't seem to figure out what Yield actually means in reference to grain and how it impacts the potential of said grain.

Can someone provide a definition of yield and explain how it impact the potential of grain?

Thanks!

Hello Apox,

I believe grain yield refers to the maximum amount of sugar that grain can yield.  In other words, the expected gravity a grain would give you.  Does that help?  I'm probably not being very clear.  Please let me know. 

Yield can give you an indication of what you can expect to get, however there are a lot of variables involved. Most yields are given as DBFG, (dry basis fine grind), with corrections for 0% moisture content. DBCG (dry basis course grind) is actually closer to what a brewhouse can expect, allowing for efficency.
Here is a link that explains it quite well:
http://www.brewingtechniques.com/bmg/noonan.html

Although some of this info is more important to commercial brewers than homebrewers, knowing the basics can always help.

Ed

Is there a website or other reference that I can find the properties/ Specifications of different malts?  I'm trying to add a new malt to my BS ingredients, but I don't know the potential SG, % yield, % moisture, Diastatic power, etc.
dw

dw_skyjockey said:
Is there a website or other reference that I can find the properties/ Specifications of different malts?  I'm trying to add a new malt to my BS ingredients, but I don't know the potential SG, % yield, % moisture, Diastatic power, etc.
dw

I go through the producers web sites.  If I can't find it, I email any address I can find at the company.  My local homebrew shop, MoreBeer, has also been helpful. 

Hi,
  Its dry grain fine yield on the malt sheet.

Brad

Back