• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch Volume & Yeast Starter

HopHead73

Apprentice
Reaction score
So I usually shoot to brew a batch to get 5.25gallons in my carboy.
I do a partial mash with late extract additions. I do 3.75 gallon boils (stove top kettle) and top off my carboy to reach my desired levels.

My question is related to my batch volume that I calculate in Beersmith and the volume of my yeast starter.
So on the "water volume" tab of my recipe, at the bottom I'm putting in my "Batch Size" as 5.25gallons and my "measured batch size" as 5.25gallons as well.
If I'm using a 2L starter, .5gallon, I'm only topping my carboy off to 4.75gallons and then adding the .5gallon starter to reach a final carboy volume of 5.25gallons.
Am I calculating this correctly in Beersmith?
I'm not selecting "add starter to bottling volume" because to me the starter is more like top up water. Am I thinking of this in the wrong context? Should I be topping my batch all the way up to 5.25gallons and then adding the starter?

Yes, the way you have your settings you should be topping off to 5.25gal and add your starter.  If you want your starter volume figured into the overall volume, you need to select the "add starter to bottling volume".  Personally, I do not select that box and just add my starter to the full volume that I collect.

Back