• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BIAB Mash Out/Water Volume Issue

brukilla

New Forum Member
Reaction score
BIAB Method:

A method that I use when BIABing and mashing out is to have a separate pot with about 1.5 gal of water at mash out temp. I still raise the temp of the boil pot to mash out temp for approx 10 minutes. Then, when I pull the grain bag out the boil pot and set it in a bucket (the bucket has one of those big funnels inside it that the grin bag rests in - above the floor of the bucket), I rinse the grains with that 1.5 gal of mash out temp water from the separate pot. I then add the liquid from the bucket back into the boil pot. This method has raised my efficiency a few percentage points per brew - and that equals less money spent on grain. Plus, it is easy and allows me to immediatey transfer the grain bag so I don't have to use herculean strength to hold it up and drain, etc.

Now, I can modify and add the mash steps to explain what I am doing (i.e. lessen the water volume for the mash and add a step with 1.5 gal), but the rinse part is not a specific option. I know extract brewers also use the rinsing method of steeping grains as well. Plus, the water volumes tab of the recipe is too rigid to provide the volumes required in each pot. In addition, the mash characteristics change with less water during the actual mash, and this is not accounted for because beersmith automatically assumes the full volume of water is in the mash.

I understand that I can just subtract 1.5 gal from the total water volume needed. Beersmith is about precision, repeatability, and capturing brewing history. I just figured this would give a more accurate depiction of the brew and brewing process. 

Back