• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast Represented as a Starter

Bgrohnke

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello,

New to the software, seems like its going to be great.  I was searching for this, and could not find an answer, my apologies if its been asked before.

Is there a way to show on the Recipe Design page, or on the Classic Recipe Report that I am using a yeast starter?  For example, on the Classic Recipe Report, under Ingredients, Instead of saying "1.0 pkg Kolsch Yeast" if it could read what I entered on the yeast starter tab page..."2.00L Kolsch Yeast Starter".

Look forward to the feedback, thanks.

A "brute force" method would be to just create a new yeast in the Yeast file for that.  You could have a package and a starter version of the yeasts you use often.

And if you vary the size of the starter, you could start tracking that.  That'd be interesting, tracking the size of starter and ferm temps against the resulting brews.

You would need to edit the classic recipe report.  Not as hard as it sounds.  There are two tags of interest:

$yeasts  - This will create a TABLE that lists the yeasts used in the recipe (all yeasts...if you use more than one).

Amt                  Name                                    Type          #        %/IBU       
1.0 pkg              Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) [35. Yeast        10      -           

$yeast_starters  - This will create a line that says:

Create a yeast starter with 1.00 l of wort

Where the volume above will be replaced with the yeast starter volume you enter on the yeast starter tab.

I don't actually recommend modifying the report "in place".  Rather you should make a copy of the recipe.htm file from C:\Program Files\BeerSmith2\Reports, and place it in "my documents\beersmith2\reports".  Then you can edit it to include whatever you want.  Then add the new report to your custom reports.

For a complete list of tags supported by BS2, you can see this post here (by me...look towards the bottom):

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,6200.0.html

Back