• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

American IPA Specific Gravity & Taste

atomicx6637

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I brewed an American IPA (My Second Home Brew) a little over a week ago and took a sample last night to test the Specific Gravity to see where I stood.  The SG came in at 1.010 which was within my target range for the Extract Kit I purchased, I'm waiting to take a couple more measurements tonight and tomorrow to see if it changes.  First question, by falling in the target range of what the recipe called for does that mean fermentation is complete?  Second question, I tasted the sample and it has no characteristics of an IPA, in fact it didn't have much taste at all, no bitterness, it did smell slightly like an IPA, Am I jumping the gun here by judging it to early?

Thanks
Troy

Fermentation is mostly done in the first three or four days, so a week and a half with a target final gravity means it went well and is done. 

The sample is small but should resemble the final beer.  You are jumping to the gun a little.    Did you taste beer made from this kit before making it?  I could be the IPA kit is not all that bitter.

Reaching your target is onlly one aspect.  I've seen many brews drop below the estimated fg.  You have the right plan...measure until it doesn't change.

As far as flavor goes.... Is this an extract of all grain kit?  Did you do a full boil or a partial boil?  What was your hopping schedule?

The kit used 6lbs of Light Malt Extract, Seeping Grains (German Light Munich Malt, Cara-Pils, Crystal Malt - 80L)

I did the seeping grains for 30 minutes prior to the boil, then did a full 60 minute boil.

Hop Schedule
1oz Chinook - 60min
1/2oz Columbus - 60min

1oz Cascade - 30min
1/2oz Columbus - 30min

1oz Amarillo - 10 min

Thanks
Troy

Back