• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Using a Barrel.

Troy

Apprentice
Reaction score
So I have come up with a recipie for a porter that I am really excited to come of age to drink, brewed it for the fist time this past Saturday. If everything turns out like I hope it will I am thinking of trying to get a used Rum barrel form the local distillery and let a second batch age in the barrel. This would be my first attempt using a wooden barrel and I have some questions.

Do I use it as a primary fermentor or secondary?
If used as a primary will I need to use a secondary?
Should I let it age in the barrel for a certain time period? In other words how long should I let it sit before it is no longer getting any benefit from being in the barrel?
When I seal the barrel should I use an air lock?
What are things I should look out for when using a barrel?

It will be a while before I attempt this but when I do I want to be prepared as much in advance as possible.

Thanks.

I just realized this may be better off in the "General brewing" area.

Feel free to move it.

Troy

First, post moved.

Second... how much beer are you making?  What is the size of the barrel?  I've never done this, but I am also interested in trying it.  Try Googling it and see what advice you can turn up.

I was thinking for a rum barrel an Imperial Coconut Porter might be the thing (it would pick up the rum taste from the barrel).

Beer_Tigger said:
I was thinking for a rum barrel an Imperial Coconut Porter might be the thing (it would pick up the rum taste from the barrel).

This perks up my taste buds!  I was thinking of charring a piece of oak and soaking it in rum, then putting the oak in a keg of Porter or IPA.  The Coconut Porter sounds great!

Currently, I am making 5 gal batches to experiment with. I have been thinking of using staves from a rum barrel if I cannot find a whole one to use.

Also, a Coconut porter sounds great. I might need to get a recipie for that.

One of the local brew suppliers is carrying a five gallon barrel for casking. He is having the barrels made for him from a someone down in Tennessee.
I am very interested and picked his brain quite a bit about it.
First step would be to add a flavoring... say a liter of whiskey and fill the rest with water and plug it and rotate it every few days for a month or so  until the wood picks up the flavor.
Next you would add your beer and leave it to secondary for as long as you want it to add the flavoring.
I will add a picture of the barrel.
As with any cask ale you would really be getting a low carbonation and would probably want to serve it at cellar temps.
I have been debating what I would flavor the cask with and came up with a honey bourbon... and porter for the beer. I like the idea of coconut porter  :)
He is charging $150 for the barrel with the stand bung and tap. I did some research to see about his pricing and did see 5 gallon barrels online, but they were a bit more.

Jim

Attachments

• 544791_286931218056929_1461129433_n.jpg
    544791_286931218056929_1461129433_n.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 2
Back