• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Alcohol Content in Stout based Root Beer recipe

Brewmaster5150

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just finally brewed my Real Root Beer batch I found at the byo website and it looks to be fermenting very nicely.  The recipe calls for 3 pounds of dry malt extract, a half pound of unsulphured molasses, and of course the natural sugars from the partial mash side the wort.  I know that the airlock is not any way to measure the amount of alcohol being made but just to get a visual my "S" shaped airlock at 12 hours after pitching yeast was at 2-3 bubbles a second and now 4 days later is at 5 bubbles a minute very consistently for the last two days.  I have never made a batch where sparging was called for but I think I did it right.  Cooked the freshly crushed malt at 155 degrees with 1 gallon for an hour then sparged with 1.5 gallons at 170 degrees.  I hopped at the beginning of boil and 20 minutes in as my own personal touch.  After boiling that with another 1 gallon of water, I tea-bagged the spice combination while cooling, pitched yeast pack at 72 degrees and topped off with another two gallons of water.  I would like to add some vanilla extract to the batch for taste.  Also I want to try to raise the alcohol content a bit but not to over 7%.  Unfortunately my hydrometer got smashed and I didn't take an initial reading.  I'm going to add a whole cup of strained spice tea (smells exactly like root beer) at the same time I add the corn sugar and bottle.  So here are my questions:

1 - Is there any way to measure my alcohol content without an initial wort hydrometer reading?
2 - When should I add the vanilla extract (1 tablespoon) for taste?
3 - Any ideas on how to raise alcohol content a bit?
4 - Lastly I have yeast nutrient but it's 10 years old... can I still use it?

So far al you have been a HUGE help.  I haven't brewed for 10 years but I'm all about it now thanks to the encouragement and non-stop feedback on this site.  Thanks and cheers to all of you brewing out there.

Being of innovation and ultimately leading to reward, brewing feels like my American birthright.  -BM5150

Oh yeah here's the link to the original recipe:

http://www.byo.com/stories/recipeindex/article/recipes/111-soda-pop/1329-real-root-beer

Brewmaster5150 said:
I just finally brewed my Real Root Beer batch I found at the byo website and it looks to be fermenting very nicely.  The recipe calls for 3 pounds of dry malt extract, a half pound of unsulphured molasses, and of course the natural sugars from the partial mash side the wort.  I know that the airlock is not any way to measure the amount of alcohol being made but just to get a visual my "S" shaped airlock at 12 hours after pitching yeast was at 2-3 bubbles a second and now 4 days later is at 5 bubbles a minute very consistently for the last two days.  I have never made a batch where sparging was called for but I think I did it right.  Cooked the freshly crushed malt at 155 degrees with 1 gallon for an hour then sparged with 1.5 gallons at 170 degrees.  I hopped at the beginning of boil and 20 minutes in as my own personal touch.  After boiling that with another 1 gallon of water, I tea-bagged the spice combination while cooling, pitched yeast pack at 72 degrees and topped off with another two gallons of water.  I would like to add some vanilla extract to the batch for taste.  Also I want to try to raise the alcohol content a bit but not to over 7%.  Unfortunately my hydrometer got smashed and I didn't take an initial reading.  I'm going to add a whole cup of strained spice tea (smells exactly like root beer) at the same time I add the corn sugar and bottle.  So here are my questions:

1 - Is there any way to measure my alcohol content without an initial wort hydrometer reading?
2 - When should I add the vanilla extract (1 tablespoon) for taste?
3 - Any ideas on how to raise alcohol content a bit?
4 - Lastly I have yeast nutrient but it's 10 years old... can I still use it?

So far al you have been a HUGE help.  I haven't brewed for 10 years but I'm all about it now thanks to the encouragement and non-stop feedback on this site.  Thanks and cheers to all of you brewing out there.

Being of innovation and ultimately leading to reward, brewing feels like my American birthright.  -BM5150

Let us know how it turns out. That was too much molasses for my taste. Otherwise pretty good. Smells like root beer, finishes like a porter/stout.

Back