• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First BIAB and water profile

chasinreno

Brewer
Reaction score
I just tapped my first all grain Blonde and it's so good I can't put it down.

9lbs two row Breiss
8oz light dme
1lbs light brown sugar
1.5oz Tetnanger(60min)
.5oz Goldings(40min)
1oz Danstar Nottingham
OG 1.060
FG 1.010
Primary two weeks
Secondary two weeks
64degf first three weeks
66degf last week
aged in the keg in a frig 1 month.

So I used Crystal Springs bottled water and I wonder how much difference fussing with PH could make?  It's already so good everyone loves it, even the women!

In that blonde, it sounds unnecessary.  If you made an IPA and really wanted a prominent hop presence, and you'd dropped 5-6 oz of costly hops into it, then it might benefit from some very cheap minerals adjustment. 

It all depends on the base water and what you're trying to do.  And whether you feel the effort might be worth it.

So when I brewed my amber ale with 2oz of Willamette (5gal batch) my hop flavor was bitter enough but a little muddled in the adjunct grains.  If I had added some minerals it would have brought the bitter to the front? 

BTW: Nice to hear from you again.  I used to be "chas at tahoe" until finances forced me to reno.  I do miss that Lake Tahoe water.

We'll see.  I brewed a hoppy ale today and pushed the sulfates more than in the past, and that is supposed to bring the hops forward.

I do recall you having excellent water in Tahoe.  But that's the cool thing @ water; it's infinitely adjustable.

It's a lot warmer here in Reno too.  At Tahoe I only had to worry about cooling a couple degrees in my house or garage but in Reno I think I might have to both cool and warm over 20 degrees.
I'm training a buddy in brewing and he's a retired hardware programmer.  We're working on using a TEC solid state chip that uses dc current to refrigerate.  Astonishingly in order to make it heat all you have to do is switch the current from + to -.  We're going to test how it works this week, hopefully.  With his expertese we'll be able to keep fermentation temp to less than one degree +or-.

Back