• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith installation instructions ...

SkyFlyer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hello all.
I've recently upgraded to BS2 and like what I see.
However, I must have done something wrong and didn't have any of my old recipes and other stuff.
I finally found them and figured out how to get them back.
Just wondering ...
Is there is Help file or forum post(s) that outlines the steps needed to correctly install BS?  To insure that I don't lose anything and that everything shows up in the new load.  How to do proper backups/restores, get the folders right, etc.

For next time I need to reload. (rebuild computer for example)

Thanks ....
Bob

Bob,
  To backup your recipes save off the directory Documents/BeerSmith2 - it contains all of your data.  You could save a copy of this off next time.

Upgrading should not have changed your recipes - unless you were upgrading from 1.x to 2.0 in which case you do need to import them.  Upgrading only changes the program files and not the data files stored in your Documents/BeerSmith2 directory.

You should make sure you are installing BeerSmith to the Program Files directory (not your Documents directory) for it all to work correctly.  Under BeerSmith 2 the program gets installed to Program Files or Applications (on the Mac) and then when you run it the first time it should create the Documents/BeerSmith2 directory.

Brad

Back