• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

dead spce in converted kegs

econolinevan

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I just converted two 15.5 gallon kegs into my mash and boiler.  I ended up with 2 gallon, 8 onces dead space in each.  Seems a little excessive, but I would not have been able to put valves any lower in kegs.  Has anyone out there who has converted these kegs experienced similar?

Did you use a side dip tube or is it down the center?  That and putting hose on end of ball valve and tipping to get extra wort out helps.

In my brew pot, I have a bazooka screen and yes I could tip and get a little more out to go through my counter chiller, but my mash tun utilizes a pick up tube and  mash screen purchased from morebeer as a keg converter kit and once you get to the level of the valve, your done.

Friend of mine hand-crafted this bazooka-type thing from stainless mesh that angles down to very bottom of keg/boiler. 

He uses enough leaf hops to provide a filter over the mesh and it filters wort very well. 

I sort of do the same thing with a s/s scrubby fit snugly over the out-tube-coupler, but still sacrifice ~1 gallon, even with tilting.  I brewed with lots of leaf hops yesterday and was amazed with the wort clarity and the amount of leaf-hop trub below the valve.

Back