Author Topic: Splitting the Yeast Starter  (Read 9038 times)

Offline MikeinRH

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Splitting the Yeast Starter
« on: June 04, 2012, 11:21:43 PM »
I've had some questions regarding this topic, so I will share.

Rather than "washing" and harvesting yeast from the bottom of a fermenter, I have found a way to split a yeast starter that is cleaner and much easier.

I start with a 1600ml of H20 and 1 cup of DME in a 2000ml Erlenmeyer flask.
Boil for 5-10 minutes.
Cool to room temperature or below by refrigerating or placing flask on ice.
Pitch yeast.
Cover with a soaked 4-inch piece of sanitized Handiwipe soaked in Star San. Secure with rubber band.
Place flask on stirplate at a speed sufficient enough to create a small vortex. Run for a minimum period of 24 hours.

I begin the above procedure two days before making a 5 gallon beer recipe. When the wort has cooled to a point where the yeast is ready to pitch into the carboy, I use 600ml of the starter ... leaving 1200ml in the flask. I return the flask to the stir plate for 48 hours. If I do not use  600ml for another batch, I separate the remaining 1200ml into sanitized mason jars ... then refrigerate.

I actually use one of the 600ml samples to create a new 1800ml starter. I'm now on my fifth 5-gallon batch ...and all have required a blow off tube into a bucket of sanitizer.

I will admit this is great if you're only using one type of yeast for your recipes. I'm still striving for the perfect IPA!

Offline PetenNewburg

• “In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is laughter, and in water there is bacteria” Benjamin Franklin
Re: Splitting the Yeast Starter
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 06:10:19 AM »
  I did the same basic thing for a series of stouts I brewed last winter.  I started off with a 1600ml starter, I brewed 2 Irish Stouts, a porter, a robust porter and used the remainimg 2000ml for a Kitchen Sink Stout.  All performed perfectly
Several meads ageing.
IPA kegged, 2/9/14
R. Porter in Secondary, 2/9/14
Next up, Vienna Lager, Pale Ale

Offline jomebrew

• Global Moderator
    • Jomebrew
Re: Splitting the Yeast Starter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 09:27:23 AM »
I have not split a starter but like the idea.  I have 4 Erlenmeyer flasks (1-2L and 3-1L) so this would be easily doable.  This is especially useful when planning several brews in a row.  You could also make 5G of 1.040 extract as a big starter and not need to split a smaller one so much. 

I usually save the slurry from the prior batch.  My last batch a couple days ago, I kegged from the carboy had a bunch of leftover slurry.

I have two fine muslin bags soaking in sanitizer.  I sanitize the carboy top, my hands, my flash and my funnel. 

I had already boiled and cooled 800ml of water in the the Erlenmeyers.

I removed the excess sanitizer from the hop bags and covered the top of the carboy with them and poured into the funnel. I added 200ML of liquid to the flasks.

I chilled the flasks in the fridge.   There is a beautiful yeast cake with almost no trub or hop matter.   This was a big Imperial IPA.  These yeast should be ready for some more big action next brew!