• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Splitting the Yeast Starter

MikeinRH

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I've had some questions regarding this topic, so I will share.

Rather than "washing" and harvesting yeast from the bottom of a fermenter, I have found a way to split a yeast starter that is cleaner and much easier.

I start with a 1600ml of H20 and 1 cup of DME in a 2000ml Erlenmeyer flask.
Boil for 5-10 minutes.
Cool to room temperature or below by refrigerating or placing flask on ice.
Pitch yeast.
Cover with a soaked 4-inch piece of sanitized Handiwipe soaked in Star San. Secure with rubber band.
Place flask on stirplate at a speed sufficient enough to create a small vortex. Run for a minimum period of 24 hours.

I begin the above procedure two days before making a 5 gallon beer recipe. When the wort has cooled to a point where the yeast is ready to pitch into the carboy, I use 600ml of the starter ... leaving 1200ml in the flask. I return the flask to the stir plate for 48 hours. If I do not use  600ml for another batch, I separate the remaining 1200ml into sanitized mason jars ... then refrigerate.

I actually use one of the 600ml samples to create a new 1800ml starter. I'm now on my fifth 5-gallon batch ...and all have required a blow off tube into a bucket of sanitizer.

I will admit this is great if you're only using one type of yeast for your recipes. I'm still striving for the perfect IPA!

I did the same basic thing for a series of stouts I brewed last winter.  I started off with a 1600ml starter, I brewed 2 Irish Stouts, a porter, a robust porter and used the remainimg 2000ml for a Kitchen Sink Stout.  All performed perfectly

I have not split a starter but like the idea.  I have 4 Erlenmeyer flasks (1-2L and 3-1L) so this would be easily doable.  This is especially useful when planning several brews in a row.  You could also make 5G of 1.040 extract as a big starter and not need to split a smaller one so much. 

I usually save the slurry from the prior batch.  My last batch a couple days ago, I kegged from the carboy had a bunch of leftover slurry.

I have two fine muslin bags soaking in sanitizer.  I sanitize the carboy top, my hands, my flash and my funnel. 

I had already boiled and cooled 800ml of water in the the Erlenmeyers.

I removed the excess sanitizer from the hop bags and covered the top of the carboy with them and poured into the funnel. I added 200ML of liquid to the flasks.

I chilled the flasks in the fridge.  There is a beautiful yeast cake with almost no trub or hop matter.  This was a big Imperial IPA.  These yeast should be ready for some more big action next brew!

Back