• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help with a recipe design showing both steeping and mashing

TheCrumm

Apprentice
Reaction score
OK I am trying to create a recipe where some of the grains are mashed and some are steeped I will post the recipe.  My question is how do you get Beersmith to show both the steeping and the mashing. All I can get it to do is mash which is false representation of the recipe.

I am also using B.S. 2.1.02 for the PC

For clarity here is the recipe:

Amount (Lbs) Grain Gravity Contributed
12 American 2-Row 48.1 51.1%
4.5 Maris Otter 18.5 19.7%
0.5 Caramunich 1.8 1.9%
1 Special B 3.2 3.4%
1 Flaked Oats 3.6 3.8%
2 Corn Sugar 12.3 13.1%
1 Roasted Barley 3 3.2%
0.5 Light Chocolate 1.8 1.9%
0.5 Chocolate malt 1.8 1.9%

1.3 Magnum 14% 60
1.0 Fuggles 4.75% 30
1.0 EKG 5.00% 30
1.0 Fuggles 4.75% 15
1.0 EKG 5.00% 15
1.0 Fuggles 4.75% 0
1.0 EKG 5.00% 0

Mash Temp 154
Dark grains (roasted barely and chocolates) should be steeped at room temperature in 2.5 qts water overnight prior to mash. Strain using grain bag into kettle. Rinse grains with 2 qts water into Kettle.
Add sugar at 20 minutes left in boil

I'm pretty sure that beersmith will NOT do what you want.  The entire tag $STEEPING_INGREDIENTS is ignored (and not printed) when the recipe type is All-Grain.

There is a checkbox called "add after boil" on the grain page.  The problem is that this causes the grain to be added to the fermenation ingredients (tag: $FERMENT_INGREDIENTS).  That's not exactly what you are looking for. 

I've looked through all the tags supported by BS2, and all of the fields associated with a grain, and I don't see any way to do it. 

Thank you for checking my gut feeling was that it can't be done and I have looked through out BS 2

Leave to to me to find something BS can't do so I am going to try some different ways to accomplish whit I want

Again thank you

TheCrumm

I am interested in doing this as well. Maybe there is some kind of work around that someone can point out.

Tony

I have run into the same issue trying to add water that has cold steeped dark grains. Now with some of the new non-bittering malts like Black Prinz and Midnight Wheat that may not be such an issue, but it would be nice to have the option to include it in your BS recipe.

I came to the forum to research this exact same question.  Thanks for posting! 

I just made a stout this weekend with the roast barley added to the sparge, ala Gordon Strong.  I was doing a double infusion to get a protein rest at 120F and a sac. rest at 150F, but if I left the roast barley in the recipe, it threw off the infusion temperature calculator because the program was assuming all the grain was in the mash.  I looked around for a way to let it know the barley would be essentially steeped separately from the mash but couldn't find anything. 

What I ended up doing was deleting the barley from the recipe in order to get the correct infusion temps, then adding it back in.  This worked, but was somewhat tedious and once the roast barley is added back in, the parameters of the mash in the recipe don't truly reflect the mash that actually happened!  I'll have to put in good notes so I can have a chance of recreating this in the future.

Maybe this is something that can be addressed in the program...especially since I heard about this technique of steeping grains that don't need to be mashed in an interview that Brad did with Gordon Strong on his BeerSmith podcast!!

Cheers!

etcetrah said:
Maybe this is something that can be addressed in the program...especially since I heard about this technique of steeping grains that don't need to be mashed in an interview that Brad did with Gordon Strong on his BeerSmith podcast!!

Cheers!

You've got it right. I've heard about this technic by the beersmith podcast too... but can't find a way to make Beersmith calculate it automatically.

OK - so has anyone come up with a workaround in Beersmith to account for the differences?
I'm brewing tomorrow and am planning to steep my dark grains. Kind of interesting that the Beersmith podcast would make no mention of how to account for the process in the software. I guess I'll have to do manual calculations and take careful notes.

Anyone care to write a suggestion for an enhancement to support this process?

Dave

Back