Author Topic: What is Grain Yield?  (Read 8717 times)

Offline apoxbrew

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
What is Grain Yield?
« on: May 20, 2012, 09:34:26 AM »
I'm just playing around with some stuff and can't seem to figure out what Yield actually means in reference to grain and how it impacts the potential of said grain.

Can someone provide a definition of yield and explain how it impact the potential of grain?

Thanks!

Offline Hibs06

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: What is Grain Yield?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 01:50:51 PM »
Hello Apox,

I believe grain yield refers to the maximum amount of sugar that grain can yield.  In other words, the expected gravity a grain would give you.  Does that help?  I'm probably not being very clear.  Please let me know. 

Offline Rusty Nails

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 04:54:24 PM »
Yield can give you an indication of what you can expect to get, however there are a lot of variables involved. Most yields are given as DBFG, (dry basis fine grind), with corrections for 0% moisture content. DBCG (dry basis course grind) is actually closer to what a brewhouse can expect, allowing for efficency.
Here is a link that explains it quite well:
http://www.brewingtechniques.com/bmg/noonan.html

Although some of this info is more important to commercial brewers than homebrewers, knowing the basics can always help.

Ed

Offline dw_skyjockey

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 08:04:57 AM »
Is there a website or other reference that I can find the properties/ Specifications of different malts?  I'm trying to add a new malt to my BS ingredients, but I don't know the potential SG, % yield, % moisture, Diastatic power, etc.
dw

Offline jomebrew

• Global Moderator
    • Jomebrew
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 10:17:51 AM »
Is there a website or other reference that I can find the properties/ Specifications of different malts?  I'm trying to add a new malt to my BS ingredients, but I don't know the potential SG, % yield, % moisture, Diastatic power, etc.
dw

I go through the producers web sites.  If I can't find it, I email any address I can find at the company.  My local homebrew shop, MoreBeer, has also been helpful. 

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 09:31:06 PM »
Hi,
  Its dry grain fine yield on the malt sheet.

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

modification