• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash pH?

Hackett

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Having problems making my mash pH I have tried throwing a handfull of acidulated malt in my mash. My water is from my well 200 ft down and has a 7pH and is a little hard. Has anybody used Buffer 5.2. Some of the reviews dont sound that good just wondering.

Do you have a mineral report for your water?  Its hard to suggest what to do without knowing what you have.  It also depends on what beer style you are trying to make.  How are you measuring your pH?

I haven't used 5.2, and never will.  Its too easy to get your pH right without it. 

I have a pound each of CaCl2, CaSO4, and MgSO4, and 4 oz of Lactic acid.  Between that, and cutting my local water with distilled water for beers below 10 srm...I don't have any issues with mash or boil pH. 

I strongly recommend the EZ Water spreadsheet : http://www.ezwatercalculator.com/

I use 5.2,  but I am relatively new at brewing, having only made four 5 gallon batches so far.

I only started using it because the guy who sort of mentored me in the whole mashing process uses it all the time.

I recently bought a pH meter and for teh first tome actually checked the mash pH - it was just about 5.3

Having never brewed without it, I suppose I cannot offer very meaningful comment other than to say that I have been really pleased with my first four all grain batches!

Brian

Back