• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fruits add on

B

brewmaster808

I having trouble adding fruits. When I call it up it displays it as miscellanous but the only folder that I can take it is grains. What am I doing wrong?

I am a little confused,

The fruits are treated as "grains" and go into the grains DB because they contribute fermentables to the brew.

Download the fruits,
open them by clicking in the .bsm file,
select the fruits you want to add,
then drag them into the "Grains & Extracts" database in the navigation tree on the left.

I think that should do it.

Fred Bonjour

What is this fruits add on??? i have only seen the extracts under the add misc section of the recipe...

is there something more i can download??  i looked on the beersmith.com and didnt find anything.  i do alot of fruit beer brewing and have wondered how i should add a fruit to the recipe ingrediant list...  so far i have just put what i did on the notes section of a new misc item.

but if there is a pre made fruit add on list I NEED IT!!!  where do i get it!!!!

Saylin

http://www.beersmith.com/data_updates.htm

Fruits - Entries for fruits (29 entries) - contributed by Fred Bonjour.  Note that these entries do not include color, because there can be a large amount of color variation depending on the fruit variety.  Also these are bulk fruits and not fruit juice or concentrate.

Been there since January.

Fred

Adding to grains work fine. To clarify my earlier question was the icon used for fruits (left of the name) appears to miscellanous vice an grain & extract.

Open up a "Fruit" and in the upper right corner is a drop down.

I selected an adjunct vs a grain because fruits are not grains.  Change it to grain and you will see what you are expecting.

Brad,

could you add a fruit type in the next release, maybe with an icon of a cherry or something like that.

Fred

Fred,
 Thanks for the idea - I will see what I can do...I have added this to my list.

Brad

I am trying to add Oregon Fruit puree to the New Grain and Extract database.  I have the Cherry puree and acording to the Oregon website:
http://frontpage.erie.net/bierhaus/purees.htm
the cherry puree has a Brix of 23, which gives a SG of 1.094 from what I understand.  I try to input 1.094 in the SG of the possible yield, but it resets to 1.046.  I am pretty new to these numbers so I'm assuming I don't get something.

Thoughts?

Michael Schaap

Michael,
 This is a point of some confusion.  The Brix scale used to measure (for example) grapes in winemaking provides a percentage of fermentable sugars.  23 would mean that 23% of the puree by weight is fermentable, corresponding to what you would get if you stuck a hydrometer in the puree and read off the brix scale.  

However, potential in a grain record is the yield potential of the dry grain by weight, which is not directly convertable to SG.  For example a 100% yield grain (i.e. sugar) would have a max potential of 1.046, which means that 100% of the weight is converted to sugar in solution.  In the case of the puree, a lot of it is water and not converted directly to sugar.  This is why BeerSmith limits this yield to 100%.

To get the correct yield of your puree, you need to enter the 23 as the yield (23% of it is fermentable), which provides a yield potential of 1.011

Cheers!
Brad

Well stated Brad

Without running the exact numbers, 1.094 would be the "gravity" of 100% puree.  (I roughly estimated 1.088 )  Potential is PPPG ot Points per pound per GALLON,  Putting 1 pound + water to make a gallon (8 pounds per gallon) would give you about 1/8th of that or 1.011.  

The easiest way is to add to BeerSmith is to make a copy of a fruit and as Brad said, put the Brix in the yield box.  

Fred

I'm sorry, so should we select the type as "grain" in our recipe ingredients for fruit???

I am adding raspberry. When I input 3 lbs of raspberries as an adjunct it doesn't affect ABV% at all...

I'm using whole fruit

I have tried the link above and still am unable to find the fruits add on. Does this still exist? I'm trying to make a pumpkin beer and this is proving to be very frustrating.

In Beersmith 2. Go to the left hand file tree. Open View. Click on Add-ons.

Back