• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

sierra nevada torpedo ipa clone

flyingkilts

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello,  The weekend began Friday late afternoon with a 6-er of the above and Wow, is it great beer.  It's Sunday morning and there are 8 empty bottles in recycling, as the Hop Devils forced  me go get reinforcements.  I've searched all over the site, but can't find a recipe for this elixir.  Can anyone help?  Thanks for your time

Here's a recipe I've had for a while but have yet to brew, it's all grain and the batch size is 2.50gals so you would just have to adjust accordingly if doing 5gal.

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                  Name                                    Type          #        %/IBU       
5 lbs 8.0 oz          Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)          Grain        1        90.9 %       
8.8 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)    Grain        2        9.1 %       
0.45 oz              Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop          3        44.3 IBUs   
0.25 oz              Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 14.0 min        Hop          4        11.6 IBUs   
0.13 tsp              Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)              Fining        5        -           
0.50 oz              Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop          6        2.5 IBUs     
0.25 oz              Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop          7        4.9 IBUs     
1.0 pkg              California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast        8        -           
0.33 oz              Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days      Hop          9        0.0 IBUs     
0.33 oz              Crystal [3.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days      Hop          10      0.0 IBUs     
0.33 oz              Magnum [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days      Hop          11      0.0 IBUs     

SN Torpedo is one of my fav's and a "go too" brew when I can't find anything to satisfy my hop graving.

Here is a recipe that i received from a guy, who knows a guy, whose brother -in-law's second cousin . . . you get the picture . . . This person states "it's the real thing"
90 % 2 row
7% caramel 60
3% munich  [ EuroPils is better]

mash at 155
60 minutes Magnun.
30 minutes Magnun
5 minutes Magnum, Crystal  and Citra

As I have no idea the amounts, I can only hope someone can work this backward from the IBU's which is  72.  The only notes he had were for the dry hopping :  about 3/4 pound / barrel.  Okay, that's as far as I can go .  :>)  Thanks for any help and if you brew this, let us know how it comes out

Back