• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Post-Boil Hops

ralf

Apprentice
Reaction score
How do you put Post-Boil hops in a recipe? There isn't an option in the drop down for hops additions (Mac version)?

But this isn't for hops at flameout. This is for hops added 30 min after boil ends in a different step than those added at flameout.

L

L, what are your thoughts of doing that?  Why not just dry hop in fermenter instead?  Most wait to chill for 30 minutes to whirl pool but I'm curious to what you are doing from flame out on. 

Mark

I think the calculation will be identical.  It takes boiling to extract bitterness, so post-flame-out is set for no extraction, whether hops are put in at flameout or later.

merfizle said:
L, what are your thoughts of doing that?  Why not just dry hop in fermenter instead?  Most wait to chill for 30 minutes to whirl pool but I'm curious to what you are doing from flame out on. 

Mark

I found it in a recipe for an IPA. Certainly the hops won't affect the bitterness at all, and probably not the aroma very much, but should have a major effect on flavor. However, there is no way to put post-boil hops in a recipe and have it show correctly on the brew sheet. At least, there isn't a way that I have found.

L

ralf said:
I found it in a recipe for an IPA. Certainly the hops won't affect the bitterness at all, and probably not the aroma very much, but should have a major effect on flavor. However, there is no way to put post-boil hops in a recipe and have it show correctly on the brew sheet. At least, there isn't a way that I have found.

L

So, these hops would be added AFTER cooling?  If so, then the major impact would be aroma not flavor...but, with cool wort there isn't going to be much of anything with that short of a contact time. 

However, if you are adding to Hot wort after flameout and before chilling (aka whirlpool hops), there is a hop use setting  for that...its called "aroma".  If you want to add this kind of hops, set the "use" to "aroma".  Hops with this property are added to the recipe report using the "$steep_hops" tag. 

Back