• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Preparing for first KEGGLE brew.

PetenNewburg

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
  I am preparing for my first Keggle brew.  I’m just wondering if scorching is a issue with the Keggle and a propane burner?  Should I add a extra outer layer to the bottom or flame spreader?  I plan to try the standard “turkey fryer” type burner first but I also have one of the 180,000 mega burners to try.  Any suggestions?
Thanks and Happy Brewing!

I use a keggle with the Blichmann burner, no scorching for me. I don't use it full blast either; just a nice gentle boil.

I use a keggle plus turkey fryer.  No issues at all. Enjoy the big pot!

I use a three keggle system with a KAB6 burner, which is pretty serious and I've never had scorching.  I was worried about scorching from heating the mash tun during the mash to maintain temps or mashout, but I haven't had any problem with that either.

My biggest tip for keggles is that the skirt holds a LOT of heat, and it takes an immersion chiller a long time to overcome it.  I currently only have an immersion chiller, so what I do is actually lift the keggle off the burner and put it in a Rubbermaid rope handled bin full of water immediately after flameout.  The hiss of steam is pretty wild, but it allows the immersion chiller to really do its job.  I run the hose into the bin for a few minutes too.

Moonpile said:
My biggest tip for keggles is that the skirt holds a LOT of heat, and it takes an immersion chiller a long time to overcome it.  I currently only have an immersion chiller, so what I do is actually lift the keggle off the burner and put it in a Rubbermaid rope handled bin full of water immediately after flameout.  The hiss of steam is pretty wild, but it allows the immersion chiller to really do its job.  I run the hose into the bin for a few minutes too.

Dude!  That's nuts, and seriously dangerous.

There was a guy on here a few months ago who dropped his kettle while full of near boiling wort and got serious burns.  NO ONE SHOULD CONTEMPLATE CARRYING A KEG OF HOT WORT....not even just a couple of feet.  It is quite possible to die from complications resulting from the burns that could be sustained in that activity. 

Think about this: 3rd degree burns on the front of your legs and waist (if it were to tip and pour down your front), would have a mortality rate of approximately between 25% to 50%...depending on your age and health.    Even at the low end, do you really want to risk being the 1 in 4 that dies....in order to cool your beer faster?  I'm not normally given to hyperbole, but I don't think this is the least bit alarmist.  It is a VERY real risk with this much water an that much heat.

Ok...warnings aside....from a technical perspective it is also completely unnecessary:

That steel doesn't hold anywhere near as much heat as the water inside the keggle.  The heat capacity (pound for pound) of Stainless is 1/8th that of water. So, even if your entire keggle weighted as much as the wort inside it (which it does NOT), the wort would have still have 8 times as much energy in it.  Granted the base of the keg can get hotter than the boiling point, so the total heat is elevated by however far above boiling it is.  Still, that is ONLY the mass of metal in the hoop of the foot, which might be a couple of pounds at the most.  Again your 6 gallons of boiling water has a LOT more heat in it than all of the steel in the entire keg. 

Some math, in round numbers:

• keggle weight = ~30 lbs
  • Wort weight = ~50 lbs
  • Wort specific heat = 1.00 btu / lb / F
  • Keggle specific heat = 0.12 btu / lb /  F

Assuming you are trying to cool to 70F, you are trying to remove this much heat from each:

• Wort Heat: 1.0 btu/lbs/F * 50 lbs * 142 F = 7100 btu

I don't know how hot the keggle foot can get, but lets assume you could get to 412F:

• Keggle_foot: 0.12 btu/lbs/F * 2 lbs * 342 F = 82 BTU

Now the rest of the keggle at boiling (though the part above the wort will not be that hot):

• Keggle_remainder: 0.12 btu/lbs/F * 28 lbs * 142 F = 477 BTU

So the entire keggle has 550 BTU of heat that has to be removed, versus the 7100 BTU for the wort.  The entire keg holds less than 10% of the wort.  The foot of the keggle that you are trying to cool holds 1% of the total heat of the system to be removed. 

If your wort is not cooling fast enough its because your chiller isn't big enough and/or your water chill water isn't cold enough.  I have 50 feet of 1/2 OD copper in my immersion chiller, and I chill to under 100F in 4 minutes.  At that point I switch to recirculating ice water and it takes 5-10 more minutes to chill to 70F or so.

Your method is working because you are removing heat from the WORT,  its the same as the water bath method that a lot of partial boil / kitchen brewers use.  The water in your rubbermaid bin is drawing heat out of the wort...not the steel. 

My current chiller is a 50' coil of 3/8" stainless, however I have tubing to make a 50' - 1/2" copper chiller.  I saw a design I liked with a inner & outer coil.  The input/ feed line feeds one coil from the top, the other coil from the bottom.  Just a matter of finding that elusive box of fittings!

Thank you for the fast responses!!

PetenNewburg said:
My current chiller is a 50' coil of 3/8" stainless, however I have tubing to make a 50' - 1/2" copper chiller.  I saw a design I liked with a inner & outer coil.  The input/ feed line feeds one coil from the top, the other coil from the bottom.  Just a matter of finding that elusive box of fittings!

Thank you for the fast responses!!

I'm not sure I would bother.  The copper coil will dominate the cooling effect of the system.  Second, if you connect them in series the flow restriction of the 3/8" coil will prevent the copper from being able to maximize its effectiveness.

Stainless is 10x LESS thermally conductive than copper.
The 1/2" copper has 1/3 more surface area than the 3/8" stainless.
The 1/2" copper will have roughly twice the flow rate at the same pressure allowing more water to flow through the coil. 

The copper will be seriously fast.  That 50'x1/2" copper coil will cool your wort below 100F in less than 5 minutes all by itself....even here in Texas in July.  Based on the numbers above, I'm guessing that the SS coil might save you 20 seconds over the copper alone.  For all the trouble and expense of finding the magic box of fittings, that's not much benefit. 

A bit of miss understanding/ lack of explanation on my part.  I would not be combining the ss coil & copper coil.  I have 2 x 25' x 1/2 copper coils.  Since I have to join them anyways, just figured to run the cold water to top & bottom.  A example I saw on ebait #170650583614, a expired listing but I think you can still find it.  I just liked the look of the thing! 8)

Ahm I get it now.  Can't argue with the coolness factor.  8)

The only time I ever experienced scorching is when I failed to remove the kettle from the flame while adding extract. Another reason why I don't do extracts anymore.

Back