• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

brew evaluation forms

BILLY BREW

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Is there anyone out there that has a good solid evaluation form that can be used?
I am considering working into a Nano Brewery, but right now I want to get a dozen or so recipes together so I can hit the ground running.
First step? Find out who likes what! Right?
I have moved to all grains and have made about 16 dfifferent styles...Of course all my beer swillin' buddies say they are all great, but I suspect free is the key and I want to make them work a bit for their quaffing.
What would be really awsome is if BeerSmith put one together that could be incoprporated into the system...NOW WHO WOULDN'T USE THE HELL OUTA THAT APP?
Look forward to any help, ideas.
B.B. 8)

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/BeerScoreSheet-Form.pdf

I incorporated an abbreviated version of the above into my custom brewsheet.  I have a 6 page brewsheet that I use from dough-in to kegging where I record everything about the beer, including my evaluation of it. 

That said, if you want OTHER people's objective opinion of your beers there are things called competitions where trained judges evaluate your beer for you and send you a completed version of the above form (from each judge).    THAT is the best way to find out how good your beer really is. 

Thanks Tom. in for judging is in the plans, but I want a recipe that will satisfy my locals and myself before I send it off for "the Judgement"!
My job is keeping me from getting into this as far a s I want to  right now...But being 58...I am counting 2 years to having more than enough time to devote. In the meantime, it is twiddle and drink, which is not a bad passtime...
Thanks again for the response

BILLY BREW said:
Thanks Tom. in for judging is in the plans, but I want a recipe that will satisfy my locals and myself before I send it off for "the Judgement"!
My job is keeping me from getting into this as far a s I want to  right now...But being 58...I am counting 2 years to having more than enough time to devote. In the meantime, it is twiddle and drink, which is not a bad passtime...
Thanks again for the response

No sweat.  But, I thought you said the locals were already satisfied?  I've never gotten good feedback from my beer swillin' buddies. 

I'm getting ready to start the competition thing.  I've been brewing since 1999 or so....it started as a way to save money...back when I was poorer (or rather most of my money went to raising kids).  I liked the beer (as did the beer swillers), and that was all that mattered.  Now I want to make the best beer possible.  My beer swillin' buddies would recognize a good beer, but they certainly couldn't tell me why (or why not).  I'm not looking to get ribbons, I just want a recognized expert to tell me what's wrong, so that I can make it better.

My approach is to take a proven recipe, brew it, and enter it.  When I can make that proven recipe and get a 35 or better with it...then perhaps I start to tweak the recipe.  Its about the process, not the recipe. 

Good luck!

Tom,  With your knowledge and insight I would guess you will score closer to 46 than 36.  I pulled a 35 in my first entry ever and I am still a rookie at 5 years.

That's nice of you to say....and, who wouldn't want to think so?  But, I'm not that arrogant to think it will happen right from the start.

Back