• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BS2 frustrations

vlucchetti

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm ready to throw in the towel with BS2 and the profiles.  I can't get any of them to match or even come near the AHS recipe kits I am using.  I want to think that if I can select a profile that is a near match, I'll have more confidence if/when I get away from kits and try to do it on my own.  Tried making my own profile but that was even worse.  Just when I think I do understand, it slips away.

I've read what few articles are there, and tried to comprehend the comments made in some threads.  I see others have the same problems, but no clear answer seems to be coming out.

This isn't rocket science and I am frustrated that I am not able to grasp it in a simple manner.  maybe I am just making it more complicated than it is.

Tell us what you are trying to do, and what isn't working. Lots of us use it successfully. 

Have you tried the videos page?  Do you have an equipment profile set up for YOUR equipment?
  http://beersmith.com/video

Brad

I have both an equipment profile and a mash profile set up.  When I follow a recipe/kit or calculate myself, the water numbers do not match up with beersmith.  I know the issue lies with the profiles, but when I follow hints, they still don't work out.

Example.  I use a 48 quart mash tun, usually ends up with 10-11 pounds of grain.  BS and the kits give the about the same amount of mash water, usually 1.25/lb.  The problem comes up with the sparge water.  recipe/kit will call for 5 gallons, bs gives me quarts.  When I experiment, I get some additional numbers but well below what the recipe is calling for.  If I follow bs, I would never reach my boil amount.

I want a simple sparge:  x amount of water for 1 hour, drain, then x amount for 10 minutes or so to hit the boil amount.  I've tried single infusion, medium body and single infusion/medium body/batch sparge and they still don't give me what I need.

Please give us a complete and specific example that didn't work right. The generalities that you are using make it impossible to help.

When you post, you can attach the Equipment profile, mash profile, etc., here, and people can open in BSmith and quickly see any issues that need fixing.  That's the quickest way to get help.

Back