• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Full Boil Extract Robust Porter Recipe

philm63

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Ok, so here is my first attempt at designing a recipe for one of my favorite styles; Porter. Full boil, all DME (yes; all extract for now until I get my wings - then grain), just want some expert eyes on it to tell me if I am on the right track. Will this recipe, as it stands now, assuming technique is solid, make a good porter?

Attachments

• High on the Hog Porter.bsmx
    21.2 KB · Views: 221
Ingredients look fine.  My only note is the bittering ratio of 33:65, or roughly 50%.  Were it me, I would push the bittering at least to 45 to 50 so the ratio is closely to 75%.

The best robust porters I've had at competitions were well balanced between the roasty edge and the bittering/hop flavor and at least dry enough in the finish.  You have the finishing hops and enough black and chocolate malts.  Just might be a tad malt leaning in the finish for the best balance.  Unless that's your goal and you're all set.

Much appreciated.

The bitterness was also my primary concern considering the grain/extract bill - there is much to learn. So I took the hop additions each from 0.25 oz to 0.33 oz and the ratio settled in at 0.682, and this pushed the IBUs up to just north of 44. Looks like this may be a better balance for this style.

After my APA goes into the secondary (brewing that one hopefully this Sunday...) I'll brew this one up to see what happens. As always, I appreciate the guidance.

Back